GCMTA has established a scholarship program for high school juniors and seniors. Entrants may perform in any medium according to the rules set forth in the GCMTA Directory. Entry deadline is March 12, 2021. Performance date is April 17, 2021.
The entrant must be a Junior or Senior in high school and must have participated in at least one other event sponsored by GCMTA (i.e.,Music Day, Federated Festival, Local Auditions) in the twelve months prior to the scholarship event. Students who win any cash award in a Junior-Senior Scholarship Scholarship are ineligible to enter again. Applications are available online (click here).
Chairman: Yumi Patterson
Location: Pianoworks, Duluth, GA
Audition Date: April 17, 2021
Application Deadline: March 12, 2021
The entrant must be a Junior or Senior in high school and must have participated in at least one other GCMTA sponsored event (e.g., Music Day, Federated Festival, Local Auditions) in the twelve months prior to the scholarship audition. Students who win any cash award in a Junior-Senior Scholarship Audition are ineligible to enter again.
Applications are available online for printing. *
Students must apply through his/her teacher.
Complete the application forms and the teacher needs to send all the application forms together to Yumi Patterson, Scholarship Chair.
Include the stamped return envelope, a 9 x 12 large manila, addressed to the teacher if the student or teacher plans to leave before the announcement.
Applications must be received by the Scholarship Chairman ON OR BEFORE March 12, 2021.
Under NO circumstances should teachers request a change in the schedule or make schedule changes among their students after the schedule has been emailed.
General Information for all performers:
1. Memorization of all repertoires is required.
2. No arrangements or condensed scores are accepted.
3. Students will be disqualified if they do not perform the same pieces as listed on their application.
4. No student will be allowed to perform a second time.
5. Vocalists or other performers (except pianists) must supply their own accompanists.
6. Recorded accompaniments will not be allowed.
7. Total performance time should not exceed fifteen minutes.
8. Entrants must provide the judge with an original copy of the music with measures numbered.
9. PHOTOCOPIES AND HANDWRITTEN COPIES ARE PROHIBITED FOR THE JUDGE’S USE, THE STUDENT’S USE, AND THE ACCOMPANIST’S USE.
10. Accompanists may use reproductions of single pages to facilitate page turns, but the appropriate published score must also be present on the music stand/rack.
All performers except Voice: Performers are to perform TWO memorized pieces: one piece from Baroque or Classical (through Beethoven), plus one piece from Romantic, Impressionistic, or Contemporary.
GCMTA follows the repertoire guideline of the GMTA Auditions. If you have any concern about the repertoire choice please contact the chairman before applying.
VOICE REPERTOIRE CATEGORIES:
Voice Literature Requirements: Musical Theatre/Broadway selections are not acceptable. Vocalists are to perform THREE memorized songs from three different Voice Repertoire Categories listed below.
1. Art Songs written before 1800 sung in English or Italian.
2. German Lieder sung in German.
3. French Art Songs sung in French.
4. Other Art Songs in Italian, Spanish, or other European languages sung in the original language. At the discretion of the Chairman, Scandinavian or Slavic language songs may be performed in English.
5. 20th and 21st century Art Songs in English by composers from the United States, Canada, or other Commonwealth nations written for voice and piano.
6. Arias from Operas or Oratorios
1. The amount of money awarded each year are determined by existing guidelines of GCMTA and given out to four place winners. Currently these are set at $800 for first place, $600 for second place, $400 for third place, and $200 for fourth place.
2. Winners are strongly encouraged to use the money for college music study, summer music camps, workshops or private music lessons.
3. Checks are made payable to the individual winners.