GMTA Local Spring Auditions
Chair: Jiyeon Kwak, 661-305-9980
Date: February 12, 2022
Location: Piano Works
Online Registration Deadline: Online only, by January 15, 2022
All registration for the 2022 Spring Auditions will be online at the Georgia MTA website. Member teachers will receive further information via email from GMTA. Registration closes January 15th, 2022. Go to georgiamta.org and click on auditions registration under Login
Please refrain from using special cases and symbols for the composers names and titles of the pieces when registering (e.g., umlaut and quotation mark). And please double check the spelling.
For questions and assistance, contact Jiyeon Kwak at 661.305.9980.
The Local Piano Audition is an opportunity for all students in school grades 4-11 to perform music from a preselected list and to be judged on their performances. It allows the student to see how their work is critiqued, allows them the opportunity to see how they can improve in their studies, and might offer the opportunity for further competition at a Regional and a State level.
All students will receive a certificate and a comment sheet. Students will also be judged against their peers, meaning only students within their same school grade. A percentage of students will be recognized with “Outstanding Performer,” “Award of Excellence,” or “Honorable Mention.”
The students who are designated “Outstanding Performer” will be eligible to move on to compete at the Regional Auditions on TBD, providing they also pass the Gate or GMTA theory test, as well. Trophies will be awarded to the Regional Audition competitors for passing the Local Audition level.
The Local Auditions will be held on February 12, 2022, at Piano Works, 2805 Buford Highway, Duluth, Georgia.
All students who apply for the Local Auditions, must also apply for and take the GATE (Georgia Auditions Theory Exams) tests unless exempt. The tests will be given on the day of the Local Auditions. Registration is online at GMTA website. Note: this is a separate registration from Auditions registration. Please go to Georgia MTA website to obtain more information on the GATE tests.
Parents and Students
If you have additional questions please contact your individual teacher for further information.
Students in grades 4 through 11 may enter. To be eligible to enter students in the GCMTA Local Audition Event:
1. Each participating teacher must work the day of the Audition, and no substitutions will be permitted.
2. The member dues must be paid by the application deadline, January 15, 2022.
Application and Fees
1. Registration will be online at the GMTA website, www.georgiamta.org.
2. The application fee for member teachers is $25.00 per student entered. The nonmember application fee is $75.00 per student, with a onetime nonmember teacher fee of $35.00.
3. Fees will be paid either online or by check.
4. If paying by check, checks must be delivered by January 15, 2022 to:
Mandy Reynolds, Executive Director
1794 Lake Heights Circle
Dacula, GA 30019
DEADLINE IS STRICTLY ENFORCED!
You will receive the schedule and any other information by e-mail.
1. For grades 4 through 12 two pieces are required. One piece must be from the Baroque or Classical Period (through Beethoven). The second piece must be from the Romantic, Impressionistic or Contemporary Period. NOTE: Contemporary pedagogical repertoire is considered Contemporary regardless of style.
2. Memorization of all pieces is required. PHOTOCOPIES ARE PROHIBITED!
Rules and Procedures
1. Students should arrive 20 minutes before performance.
2. Students must provide the judge with one copy of music, with all the measures numbered. Names of teacher and student should be deleted from the scores.
3. Auditions are closed – no spectators allowed.
4. Teachers, students, and parents must not in any way identify themselves to the judge, nor converse with the judge before or during the audition or at any time before the final winners are announced.
5. Decision of the judge is final and cannot be questioned by the contestant, teacher, or parent.
6. The number of entrants who may advance to the in-state audition will be based upon the number of entrants at the chapter level.
7. Teachers of students participating are required to work the day of the local audition. Teachers entering 1-5 students must work ½ day. Teachers entering 6 or more students must work all day. Substitutes will not be accepted. The students of teachers that don’t work the day of the audition will be disqualified from OP status and will get comments only.
Outstanding Performers Will Proceed To Regional Auditions* *
1. The Regional/State audition entry fee is $30.00 and the Gwinnett County fee is $15. There is a one time teacher’s fee of $20.00. The Regional/State Audition fee for nonmembers is $42.00 per student plus a one time teacher fee for $30.00. Teachers must pay the Gwinnett County fee on the day of local auditions at the registration desk. Students or parents must pay Regional/State, and onetime Teacher fees paid online or by check to Mandy Reynolds. Teachers are responsible for collecting the Gwinnett County fees from their students proceeding to Regional Auditions and must be prepared to leave A SINGLE CHECK payable to GCMTA.
NO CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN YOUR STUDENT BEING DISQUALIFIED TO AUDITION AT THE REGIONAL/STATE LEVEL.
2. All students must perform the same pieces at the Regional and State Auditions that were performed and judged at the local chapter level. Regional Auditions will be held Video Submissions only and all Outstanding Performers will proceed to State Auditions to be held TBD.
For further information, please refer to the State website, for more information.
Member teachers will receive further information via email from GMTA.